Friday, June 12, 2009

Texas, My Texas ...? And, "The Orphan" -- a Sicker, More Modern "The Good Son"?

Yesterday evening, I made my way to Crooklyn; I had to drop off some things to Margaret Sandwich, since my airline is charging 75 bones, just to take on extra luggage, per bag -- no matter how small (Mine are small.). I suppose they don't recognize quarter-life crises as reasons to store more of your junk on board. Sigh.

So, I went off to Crookville with my big, blue duffel bag (the only thing I took to Colombia) and miscellaneous other things to put under Ms. Sands' bed in Crookway Heights; we both decided it'd be a good thing, to ensure I don't just waste away in TX and the South for the rest of my ever-dwindling years. I said I'd definitely come back by end of July -- if only to gather the rest of my belongings.

Enter a little man we'll call Charley Fatz. He'd just been stumbling around, having entertained another School Friend for the evening, when he stopped by and interrupted our watching of TBS, quietly.

"You're going back to TEXAS?!" He's from San Antonio (Texas).

"Just for a bit! I'm going to tool around the South for a bit, work on my writing, you know ... explore!" I felt a flush come over my face.

"You're never coming back."

Despite the slurring of his words, it shocked the s.h.!.t. out of me.

"Shut up, of course I'm coming back. Margs always goes home! For months!" I tried to defend myself, and pointed at her as a ripe example.

"Yeah, but, she's always coming back. You're not coming back."

So upset.

This morning, he said, "You got upset by me, a drunk man!? Come onnnnnn."

Of course I did. Man, oh, man -- I took it so hard. He even threw in other examples of friends (Texans) he knew who'd called it quits and went home and got married; ha, one wishes. I made Ms. Sands laugh yesterday, telling her of a date I went on the night before where the friend said:

"I don't mean to be ... forward. But. You don't seem to be much into worrying about guys. What's wrong?"

"Ummm, what? I don't know. Wait, what?" I picked up my butter knife and started sawing the edge of my table ... slowly, slickly.

"I just mean, are you just not that into guys? All my girl friends ... that's all ... well, it's all they talk about."

Internal: Oh, Lord.

"Are you into girls?" he asked, with a furrowed, intense brow.

"No. Umm, I need to go."

So, back to Mr. Fatz, it's all thrown me for a clichéd loop. He views it as a weakness, my going home; obviously I have those thoughts and I rationalize them away by knowing (thinking) it'll all do me some good to be home with Brother and Mama G (and the Rat Child) for a bit ... and it'll be cheaper.

I just want to take an adventure. (Run away?)

Internal monologue, over. I'll leave with a preview I saw the other day that shocked some good sense into me, movie-wise.

Orphan trailer...it seems like a more awesome "The Good Son":


"There's something wrong with Esther."

6 comments:

Paramendra Kumar Bhagat said...

I love the new wide "body" of the blog. Now let's get some ads rolling.

(1) Go to Dashboard.
(2) Click on Layout.
(3) Go to the Body box.
(4) Click Edit.
(5) Say you want 3 posts per page, and you want ads between posts. Why 3? Because Google only allows for 3 ads per page. Don't need to be wasting any real estate.

That easy.

Some other ad revenues are here.

Paramendra Kumar Bhagat said...

I don't know if I mentioned this before but you have been on the Netizen blogroll. But I came to this blog post by way of the Gchat window. It is not how you get there, it is where you end up. Some wise person said that. Maybe one of the "founding fathers." I don't seem to be able to pin down right now.

Paramendra Kumar Bhagat said...

Now after having read the blog post, a few comments from a virtual acquaintance.

(1) Life is long, recessions are short, always.
(2) Texas as a state has character. I have passed through all its major cities.
(3) Maybe you are meant to be a writer. Someone who writes short stories and novels. "Crisis" can be revealing like that. The Harry Potter woman was broke - single mom on welfare - before she became the first billionaire writer in world history.
(4) You could totally turn this blog into a money earner. For one, it would be geographically liberating. NY or TX, would make no difference. But it might take all summer to get there if you were to decide on it.
(5) You are too young to worry in the guy department. It is sexist to worry in that department.
(6) I expect the economy to have turned around by the end of summer.
(7) There is something called taking a second bite at the big apple. If that is the gameplan, these weeks with family might be the last such big chunk of time with them for a long time to come. The glass is half full.
(8) You are not out of work. You just need to monetize this blog.

How To Become A Professional Blogger

ps. Hello to the other two characters! :-)

Paramendra Kumar Bhagat said...

Congratulations on a great Header graphic. Inspired me to get me one of my own: rather three, for my three main blogs.

But need to frame it better. Get rid of the border. Get the box size just right, so all you see is the graphic. Great graphic.

(1) Go to Dashboard to Layout to Edit HTML.
(2) Scroll down to #header-wrapper
(3) This is what I got, might not work for you.
width:767px;
margin:0 auto 10px;
border:0px
(4) Play with the numbers, hit Preview, and only Save after satisfied with the look and feel of it.

Right now a great graphic looks like shoes that don't fit.

Morgan said...

PB, I write this only to give myself a venue to write anything. Monetization? Who'd want to read my whinings, or my describing of what everyone else is going through.

I'm not going to worry myself with ads or whatnot, that was never the point.

But I do appreciate the suggestions. I probably should heed them, but every time I even try to implement them, I turn up turnips. I don't know how to do what you're speaking about.

Paramendra Kumar Bhagat said...

Hey. This is your blog, you do what you want to do with it. This blog might be your own "social network" site. A way to keep people in the loop. And that is all you want. And I don't mean to overdo my hand here. It is just that I see great potential. Movies are a major item online. I can see you getting a large following in no time. The thing about monetization efforts is you could say, I don't want to do blog post ads, just display ads, and link ads, I want to set them up, and then forget about them. But if Mark Penn can't convince you, I doubt I can. You have to move at your own pace, make your own moves. Absolutely. I should probably step back a little here.