Thursday, June 25, 2009

Papa Grice, Physics, and "Pi"

I was paid an unexpected visit by my father, Papa Grice, yesterday afternoon. I've been panicked (and driving Mama G crazy) about the upcoming exam that okays you to teach Sciences in 8th-12th grade; upon hearing that, Pops went through his old things and carted over a boatload of physics and chemistry books (he was an engineer).

"Ahh, Morgie, I don't think you need to worry. You were always best at math and science. I bet you don't even really need to study. What was that tournament you used to do? Math...Math...?"

"Math Triathlon! HA! Several of my friends in New York don't even believe I can count!"

"Oh, you'll be fine." He started flipping through one of the books, plucking a page from one that read something about "The Basics." "Here, here's an easy one."

That's just about the worst way to begin an impromptu physics lesson for someone like me. It's not an easy one, but now when I get it wrong, I'll want to drill a hole in my head. Sigh.

As the words dribbled out of his mouth, I wanted to curl up in the fetal position.

Though, a day later, I remember how much I used to love these problems.

Speaking of drilling holes in heads, I'm reminded of a scene from the movie "Pi." Excuse the somewhat graphic nature.


1 comment:

Paramendra Kumar Bhagat said...

Ms. I still believe in the possibilities of blogging as a way to lawyerly income. But I repeat myself. Sorry. But a "stint" in teaching might not be such a bad idea, if mS. Grice seems to think so. But thanks for a great blog. I am glad to have it on my BlogRoll: http://ptechnorati.blogspot.com