Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"Rudo y Cursi," Gael and Diego ...Must. Move. Away. From. Idols.

It's really just rude of me to not write about "Rudo y Cursi" -- it stars two of my favorite men, and had I not gotten sidetracked by trying to write my own little fictions, I'd have written this up days ago.



"Rudo y Cursi" stars Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna -- think "Y Tu Mama Tambien" -- as brothers. They live and work on a banana farm in Mexico (if I didn't already have them as idols after my heart, their situation would be so similar to my family's that I'd not be able to resist ... anyway)

We have a voiceover narrator who comes on scene very early on. He has a gravelly voice, and his car just broke down, just down the way. The brothers help him push the heap of a mess a couple miles, down some dirt roads, and all's well.

We quickly come to know that he's a talent agent. Specifically, sports. Soccer, to be exact. The brothers are good at soccer.

They're told to fight for the position - Score and you get the position; block and you look good. What's a man to do?

There is so much ego, so much made-up rivalry, such despair in their downfalls. The narrator gets a bit annoying, but, overall, the movie's fantastic. It views like a short story that is well worth it. Highly recommend.

And, Gael and Diego?? I'd give two arms to be sitting between them both; of course, I'd be looking left and right the whole time, pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dead or dreaming -- but, holy moly, they are up there with PN.

No comments: